|Home > Media > Press Releases > 2015|
As Reproductive FACT Act Awaits Governor’s Signature, New Poll Shows Overwhelming Support For Regulating So-Called “Crisis Pregnancy Centers”
As Reproductive FACT Act Awaits Governor’s Signature, New Poll Shows Overwhelming Support For Regulating So-Called "Crisis Pregnancy Centers”
New Poll For NARAL Pro-Choice California Finds Support Among All Demographics For Tougher Regulations
With recently-passed legislation regulating so-called Crisis Pregnancy Centers (CPCs) now awaiting the Governor’s signature, a new poll finds an overwhelming majority of California voters strongly back greater regulation of these facilities. The poll by Tulchin Research was released today by NARAL Pro-Choice California.
The poll found:
· There is an overwhelming and broad-based consensus among voters in the state that pregnancy service providers have an obligation to provide comprehensive and honest information about reproductive health services and about the state financial assistance programs available to California women.
· Eight in ten voters (80%) support requiring state-licensed facilities that provide pregnancy- related services to inform women of state programs that provide financial assistance for contraception, prenatal care, abortion, and family planning;
· Nearly seven out of ten Republicans (69%) and 77 percent of Catholic voters support requiring licensed facilities to inform women of state programs that provide financial assistance for reproductive health services;
· More than seven in ten voters (71%) support requiring unlicensed facilities that advertise pregnancy-related services to women to prominently display and include in their advertising a statement that clarifies that they are not medical facilities licensed by the state of California;
· Nearly three-quarters of Republicans (74%) and two-thirds of Catholic voters (67%) support requiring prominent disclosure by unlicensed facilities.
You can see the full poll memo here:http://www.prochoiceamerica.org/assets/download-files/ca-ab-775-polling-memo.pdf
The Reproductive FACT Act (AB 775), authored by Assemblymembers David Chiu (D-San Francisco) and Autumn Burke (D-Los Angeles), requires unlicensed facilities that provide pregnancy-related services to disclose that they are not licensed medical providers. Licensed reproductive health clinics must notify patients that California has programs to help them access affordable family planning, abortion services and prenatal care. This includes so-called "crisis pregnancy centers,” facilities run by anti-choice organizations that pose as comprehensive reproductive health clinics but work to block women from accessing abortion care.
The bill, which is sponsored by NARAL Pro-Choice California, Attorney General Kamala Harris, and Black Women for Wellness, has passed through the legislature and now awaits Governor Brown’s signature.
"This common sense legislation enjoys overwhelming support,” said Amy Everitt, Director of NARAL Pro-Choice California. "We urge the Governor to sign it immediate and stand up for the women of California who have been defrauded by CPCs for long enough.”